Christopher Bell Says NASCAR is Heading Toward Daytona/Talladega Style Racing at All Bigger Tracks

share it
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Christopher Bell, driver of the #20 Rheem Toyota, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., driver of the #47 Funfetti Chevrolet, Bubba Wallace, driver of the #23 Columbia PFG Toyota, and Kyle Busch, driver of the #18 Interstate Batteries Toyota, race during the NASCAR Cup Series Coke Zero Sugar 400 at Daytona International Speedway on August 28, 2021 in Daytona Beach, Florida. (Photo by Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images)

As he gets ready to embark on his first ever attempt at the NASCAR Cup Series Playoffs, second year NASCAR Cup Series driver Christopher Bell says the style of racing seen in last week’s Coke Zero Sugar 400 at Daytona International Speedway, could be coming to an intermediate track near you in the future.

During NASCAR Cup Series Playoff Media Day on Tuesday, Bell was asked about the higher downforce, lower horsepower packages that have been installed at tracks 1.5-mile and larger the past couple of seasons, and Bell let his opinions fly.

Initially, Bell came out swinging stating that the newer style package is easier to drive.

“You say it right there. It’s higher downforce,” Bell stated. “So, higher downforce is going to be easier to manage.”

Bell then continued by saying, “I think the direction we are heading is trying to get all of the bigger racetracks to race like Daytona or Talladega. So, I’ll let whoever decide if Daytona and Talladega is luck or skill, and just know that’s the direction we’re heading in.”

Bell’s comments come as the NASCAR fan base — at least on social media — have been divided all year on the intermediate racing package.

On one hand, the lower horsepower, higher downforce package does produce a product that lends itself to less strung out racing. The lead is often closer, at least on the scoring sheet, than the standard high horsepower, lower downforce package.

But the newer package has taken heat from a large chunk of the fanbase, as drivers aren’t able to pass the leader, even when their car is incredibly superior. Instead of setting up a pass, as was common place when one car was better than the other, a wall of air from the lead car  seemingly stalls out the second place car every time they get a run to go for the lead.

It’s led people to question whether it really matters if a lead or battle for position is closer, if nobody can do anything once they reach the car in front of them.

Even Ryan Blaney, who won at Michigan International Speedway a couple of weeks ago with the package, stated in his victory lane interview that he didn’t like having to race for wins like the way the new package forces drivers to race.

“That is not the ideal way to race, just blocking everybody,” Blaney said after climbing from his car, “but it is what you have to do nowadays…”

Whether the drivers like it, or not, Bell believes it looks like, unless there is a dramatic switch in competition philosophy from the sanctioning body, that we will keep edging closer and closer to having all-out pack racing at intermediate tracks, until it actually comes to fruition.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Post

Charbroil 300 entry list 2026 NASCAR O'Reilly Auto Parts Series race at Charlotte Motor Speedway
Entry List: 2026 NOAPS Charbroil 300 at Charlotte
Coca-Cola 600 entry list 2026 NASCAR Cup Series race at Charlotte Motor Speedway
Entry List: 2026 NASCAR Cup Series Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte
Corey LaJoie will not race for the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series championship after NASCAR denied his Waiver request.
NASCAR Denies Waiver Request For Corey LaJoie, Kaulig Racing
Ryan Blaney watches the NASCAR All-Star Race while his team repairs his car after crashing early in the event.
Dover Delivered Carnage, Confusion, And A Broken NASCAR All-Star Format
Denny Hamlin performs a celebratory burnout after winning the 2026 NASCAR All-Star Race at Dover Motor Speedway.
Denny Hamlin Takes Dominant NASCAR All-Star Race Win At Dover
Ryan Preece's No. 60 car burst into flames in a hard multi-car crash on Lap 2 of the NASCAR All-Star Race at Dover.
Massive Crash Erupts On Lap 2 of NASCAR All-Star Race At Dover

Join Our Newsletter

Ready to have NASCAR news hand-delivered to your email daily?

Related Article