O’Donnell: Kyle Busch Proposed An Over-40 Rule For Truck Series In Days Before Death

In the days before his death, Kyle Busch proposed a rule change to NASCAR that would allow NASCAR Cup Series drivers over 40 years old to compete full-time in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series.

Kyle Busch prepares to do battle in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series event at Dover Motor Speedway. Rob Branning | TobyChristie.com

share it
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit

CONCORD, N.C. — Kyle Busch never stopped trying to find additional opportunities to compete in NASCAR. It’s how the legendary driver amassed 234 NASCAR National Series victories, an all-time record, over his illustrious career. On Thursday, Busch lost his life at the age of 41 after a severe illness caused him to be admitted to the hospital.

On Friday evening, NASCAR CEO Steve O’Donnell conducted a press conference in the Charlotte Motor Speedway Media Center, where he shared his personal reflections on Busch as a racer and his life away from the track. Amid the press conference, O’Donnell dropped an interesting nugget.

According to O’Donnell, earlier this week, Busch, who won last weekend’s NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series event at Dover Motor Speedway, had texted him and proposed an over-40-year-old rule, which would allow the elder statesmen of the NASCAR Cup Series to compete full-time in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series.

“I think we all saw last week when he won at Dover, the quote from Victory Lane, it’s tough to watch. It’s telling. But what I look back on is a text from Kyle Tuesday, as only Kyle could do — and I keep looking at it — and he said: Hey, man, what do you think about an over-40 rule to be able to compete in all the Truck Series races next year?” O’Donnell said.

NASCAR originally placed limits on NASCAR Cup Series drivers in the lower two National Series divisions due to Busch being far too dominant in those series. However, O’Donnell says that NASCAR was leaning toward making a change in Busch’s favor following the text message.

“I said, you know, we put that rule in place because you were winning so much, but when we looked about it and had a meeting Wednesday internally, we thought, damn, that’s actually good. We need Kyle in the Truck Series,” O’Donnell explained. “It was twofold. He knew he could help the series, but I think one day had a dream to race against his son in a national series event. That was Kyle, always thinking about the sport and going forward.”

Unfortunately, Busch will never have the chance to see the over-40 rule through, and his shocking death robbed the world of the chance of seeing him compete against his son, Brexton, in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series someday. Still, Busch may have influenced the NASCAR rule book one last time in his final days.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Post

Richard Childress Racing will officially suspend use of the No. 8, which was used by Kyle Busch, and will renumber its second Cup Series entry No. 33.
Richard Childress Racing to Suspend Use Of No. 8, Will Renumber Car To No. 33
Spire Motorsports will honor the memory of Kyle Busch with Kyle Busch Motorsports decals on their trucks at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Spire Motorsports Adds Kyle Busch Motorsports Logos to Trucks At Charlotte
Austin Dillon authored a touching tribute post to Kyle Busch on Instagram. Busch, Dillon's RCR teammate, died this week at the age of 41.
Austin Dillon Vows To Always Be There For Kyle Busch's Family In Touching Tribute
The NASCAR community is in mourning and took to social media to remember the life of Kyle Busch, who died at the age of 41.
NASCAR Community Mourns, Remembers Kyle Busch
Racing legend Kyle Busch has died at the age of 41, the Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR confirmed in a statement on Thursday evening.
Kyle Busch, Two-Time NASCAR Cup Series Champion, Dead At 41
Kyle Busch has been hospitalized for a severe illness and will not compete in the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Kyle Busch Hospitalized With Severe Illness, Will Not Race In Coca-Cola 600

Join Our Newsletter

Ready to have NASCAR news hand-delivered to your email daily?

Related Article