Charlotte Motor Speedway Officially Axes ROVAL for 2026 NASCAR Season

The Charlotte ROVAL will officially be no more in 2026 as Charlotte Motor Speedway will use the traditional 1.5-mile oval layout in its October NASCAR race weekend.

Photo: Dirk Bizub | TobyChristie.com

share it
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit

As previously reported by The Athletic, Charlotte Motor Speedway has officially announced that it will move on from the ROVAL layout for its NASCAR National Series race weekend later this Fall. Instead, the traditional 1.5-mile oval layout will take over as the layout for the NASCAR Cup, O’Reilly Auto Parts, and Craftsman Truck Series races in the Chase in each respective series.

The ROVAL, which has been one of the most polarizing track layouts in NASCAR since its inception ahead of the 2018 season, was a track layout that people either loved or loved to hate. Regardless of where you stood, the decision to move to the ROVAL from 2018 until 2025 was an innovative move by Charlotte Motor Speedway.

“Charlotte Motor Speedway has always been about innovations and opportunity,” said Marcus Smith, president and CEO of Speedway Motorsports. “The ROVAL™ delivered dramatic racing when many fans were calling for a road course in the playoffs. Now there’s an energy around the return of The Chase, and fans are seeing the excitement that oval racing continues to generate on mile-and-a-half tracks. This feels like the time to bring the fall race back to the legendary oval at a place where NASCAR history is made every year.”

Bank of America will continue as the title sponsor of the Bank of America 400 on Sunday, October 11, continuing one of the longest continuous race title sponsorships in the sport today. The race will now be a 400-mile contest around the 1.5-mile Charlotte Motor Speedway oval.

“For more than 20 years, Bank of America has been proud to put our name on the fall NASCAR event at Charlotte Motor Speedway,” said Kieth Cockrell, president, Bank of America Charlotte in a press release from the track. “The return to oval racing and the Chase format in the Bank of America 400 will generate even more excitement for NASCAR fans this fall, and we are thrilled to continue to be a part of this great Charlotte tradition.”

The Chase for the Championship race weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway will run from Friday, October 9, to Sunday, October 11. The NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series will compete in the EcoSave 250 on Friday at 5 PM ET (televised on FOX), the NASCAR O’Reilly Auto Parts Series will run in the Blue Cross NC 250 on Saturday at 4 PM ET (televised on The CW), and the NASCAR Cup Series Bank of America 400 will cap off the weekend on Sunday at 3 PM ET (televised on USA Network).

Tuesday’s decision to remove the ROVAL and replace it with the traditional 1.5-mile oval layout will likely be a welcome change among a large portion of the NASCAR fanbase, and with the change comes a move to a more traditional 10-race NASCAR Cup Series Chase, as there will be no road races represented in the grouping of races.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Post

Carson Kvapil celebrates a win in the Hy-Vee Perks 250 NASCAR O'Reilly Auto Parts Series race at Iowa Speedway
Kvapil Comes To Life In Overtime; Scores Second Consecutive O'Reilly Series Win
Ryan Blaney took the pole position for the Iowa Corn 350 at Iowa Speedway NASCAR Cup Series
Ryan Blaney Scores Cup Pole At Iowa; Keselowski Crashes After P4 Lap
Ryan Sieg took the pole position for the Hy-Vee Perks 250 at Iowa Speedway
Ryan Sieg Captures First Career O'Reilly Series Pole In 423rd Attempt
Dean Thompson will join Haas Factory Team in 2027 and will drive the teams' third full-time NASCAR O'Reilly Auto Parts Series entry
Haas Factory Team Adds Dean Thompson To Expanding O'Reilly Team In 2027
NASCAR has made changes to the Stage caution procedures, beginning with this weekend's race at Iowa Speedway.
NASCAR Updates Stage Caution Procedures In Effort To Give Fans More Green Flag Laps
William Sawalich is set to return to Joe Gibbs Racing for the 2027 NASCAR O'Reilly Auto Parts Series season.
William Sawalich Returns To Joe Gibbs Racing For 2027 O'Reilly Series Season

Join Our Newsletter

Ready to have NASCAR news hand-delivered to your email daily?

Related Article