O’Ward Reveals Latest on Contract Situation with Arrow McLaren SP

Pato O'Ward at Barber Motorsports Park.
share it
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Pato O'Ward at Barber Motorsports Park.
Pato O’Ward now sits fifth in the championship standings after his win at Barber Motorsports Park on Sunday. Image courtesy of Chris Owens / Penske Entertainment

Pato O’Ward shared the latest developments regarding contract talks with Arrow McLaren SP.

The 22-year-old Mexican’s future with the team has been the subject of speculation since March, following McLaren announcing Colton Herta, who drives for AMSP rival Andretti Autosport, as a test driver to its Formula 1 program.

While the start of 2022 has been a mixed bag of results, O’Ward shook off any potential distractions on Sunday to claim his first win of the season – third of his IndyCar career – at the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park.

“Man, it sucks to be at war within your own team,” said O’Ward, driver of the No. 5 AMSP Chevrolet. “I’m glad there’s been very positive talks for the future and man I wanted to do it for these guys. I wanted to do it for Arrow McLaren SP, Team Chevy – they’ve swept this year so far so it’s great for them. I was tired of being 10th and 11th and 5th, so I said, ‘Let’s get a win under our belts so we can claw our way back into this championship fight.”

The win elevated O’Ward to fifth in the championship standings, 30 points behind leader Alex Palou.

During a post-race media availability, O’Ward provided an update regarding a new contract with the team.

“I’d say it’s close,” he said. “But honestly, you know, we’re into the season already, so I’m kind of — I don’t want to worry about it. I think things will shape up. There’s been very positive conversations. I think the vibe in the team is fantastic. I think that’s what we need going into the month of May. The rest I think will take care of itself.

“I don’t have a date for you. I guess whenever it’s signed, you’ll probably see it in the media somewhere. Probably be one of the first ones to know actually.”

Taylor Kiel, O’Ward’s race strategist and president at AMSP, added, “Yeah, what Pato said. We’re in a good place.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Post

Carson Kvapil celebrates a win in the Hy-Vee Perks 250 NASCAR O'Reilly Auto Parts Series race at Iowa Speedway
Kvapil Comes To Life In Overtime; Scores Second Consecutive O'Reilly Series Win
Ryan Blaney took the pole position for the Iowa Corn 350 at Iowa Speedway NASCAR Cup Series
Ryan Blaney Scores Cup Pole At Iowa; Keselowski Crashes After P4 Lap
Ryan Sieg took the pole position for the Hy-Vee Perks 250 at Iowa Speedway
Ryan Sieg Captures First Career O'Reilly Series Pole In 423rd Attempt
Dean Thompson will join Haas Factory Team in 2027 and will drive the teams' third full-time NASCAR O'Reilly Auto Parts Series entry
Haas Factory Team Adds Dean Thompson To Expanding O'Reilly Team In 2027
NASCAR has made changes to the Stage caution procedures, beginning with this weekend's race at Iowa Speedway.
NASCAR Updates Stage Caution Procedures In Effort To Give Fans More Green Flag Laps
William Sawalich is set to return to Joe Gibbs Racing for the 2027 NASCAR O'Reilly Auto Parts Series season.
William Sawalich Returns To Joe Gibbs Racing For 2027 O'Reilly Series Season

Join Our Newsletter

Ready to have NASCAR news hand-delivered to your email daily?

Related Article