NASCAR is officially coming to Netflix in 2024… in a joint effort between Words + Pictures and NASCAR Studios.
On Monday, the popular streaming service officially announced that filming has begun on a brand-new docuseries, which will track the upcoming NASCAR Cup Series Playoffs, and the series’ championship event at Phoenix Raceway in November.
According to a joint press release from NASCAR and Netflix, the series is set to feature exclusive access to drivers and teams, bringing fans behind the scenes at and away from the track while exploring the physical and mental challenges of competing for a championship at the world’s highest level of stock car racing.
Dale Earnhardt, Jr., who serves as an analyst for NASCAR on NBC and a member of the NASCAR Hall of Fame, will have an Executive Producer credit on the series alongside Ben Kennedy, Tim Clark, Matt Summers, and Tally Hair of NASCAR Studios.
Connor Schell, Libby Geist, and Aaron Cohen will also be given Executive Producer credits on the project, which will be released in the form of five 45-minute episodes in the early stages of next year.
The unnamed docuseries joins an ever-growing list of sports programming for Netflix, which includes Formula 1: Drive to Survive, Full Swing, Break Point, Untold, Quarterback, as well as upcoming series following athletes in track and field, US women’s soccer, and rugby.
Last year, NASCAR released a similar form of docuseries – following drivers and teams throughout the NASCAR Cup Series post-season – with NBC, and USA Network titled Race For The Championship, which aired 10 episodes ending in November.
As of the time of publishing, there has been no name given to the project, and no official date for its release onto Netflix.
- Production Companies: Words + Pictures (Super League: The War for Football, and Countdown: Inspiration 4 Mission to Space), and NASCAR Studios.
- Executive Producers: Connor Schell and Libby Geist (both behind The Last Dance 30 for 30, OJ: Made in America), Aaron Cohen (Words + Pictures), Ben Kennedy, Tim Clark, Matt Summers, and Tally Hair (NASCAR Studios), and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (NASCAR Hall of Famer)
- Showrunners: Jackie Decker, Tim Mullen
- Premiere Date: Early 2024 – No exact date given, as of time of publishing.
- Format: 5, 45-minute episodes.