The NASCAR Pinty’s Series never disappoints and Saturday’s season-opening NTN Ultimate Bearing Experience 250 at Sunset Speedway was no exception.
Treyten Lapcevich – beginning his second full season in the NASCAR Pinty’s Series — was able to capture his maiden victory in his 13th career start, sneaking through the late-race chaos to begin his championship hunt with a victory.
The 18-year-old didn’t inherit the lead for the first time until a NASCAR Overtime restart, which was the result of a string of yellow flags and restarts triggered by a spin for Wallace Stacey inside 15 to go.
Had it not been for those cautions and restarts, Marc-Antoine Camirand looked to have things under control, after dominating the majority of the event driving for GM Paille’s brand-new two-car organization for 2022.
Leading 200-plus laps at Sunset Speedway, Saturday was a record-shattering evening for the 43-year-old, leading more laps in the season opener than he’s led in a single season of the NASCAR Pinty’s Series.
However, the St. Leonard d’Aston, Quebec-native would have to settle for fourth after aggressive driving between the two leaders, sent both Camirand and Lessard up the track, allowing Treyten Lapcevich to slip through for the win.
Lessard would hold onto his No. 8 Chevrolet to finish in the runner-up position, with polesitter Brandon Watson finishing in third-place, after being a lap down for the majority of the event, after an early-race spin.
Camirand would come home in fourth place, with Kevin Lacroix rounding out the lead-lap cars in fifth. Gary Klutt, Alex Tagliani, JP Bergeron, LP Dumoulin, and Mark Dilley rounded out the top-10.
Next weekend, the NASCAR Pinty’s Series heads to Canadian Tire Motorsports Park for the second event of the 2022 season, and the first on a road course.
Results: NTN Ultimate Bearing Experience 250
- No. 20 – Treyten Lapcevich
- No. 8 – Raphael Lessard
- No. 9 – Brandon Watson
- No. 96 – Marc-Antoine Camirand
- No. 74 – Kevin Lacroix
- No. 59 – Gary Klutt (-1 Lap)
- No. 18 – Alex Tagliani (-2 Laps)
- No. 1 – JP Bergeron (-2 Laps)
- No. 47 – LP Dumoulin (-2 Laps)
- No. 64 – Mark Dilley (-4 Laps)
- No. 17 – DJ Kennington (-4 Laps)
- No. 27 – Andrew Ranger (-4 Laps)
- No. 98 – Sam Fellows (-5 Laps)
- No. 71 – Bryan Cathcart (-6 Laps)
- No. 2 – TJ Rinomato (-7 Laps)
- No. 66 – Wallace Stacey (-65 Laps)
- No. 84 – Larry Jackson (-90 Laps)
- No. 92 – Dexter Stacey (-107 Laps)
- No. 0 – Glenn Styres (-108 Laps)
- No. 3 – Brett Taylor (-195 Laps)