Aside from the Kurt Busch No. 45 23XI Racing Next Gen, which was shown last week, JTG Daugherty Racing has given us the first peek of a team-prepared NASCAR Next Gen racecar, as they shared photos of their No. 47 Kroger Chevrolet Camaro that will be a part of the Goodyear Tire Test at Daytona International Speedway next week.
The future is here.
LOTS of hard work and long hours.
— JTG Daugherty Racing (@JTGRacing) September 4, 2021
While the Next Gen looks sharp in the photos, it appears that JTG Daugherty Racing opted to stick for the traditional number placement on their car, as opposed to the 2022 slid forward number placement, for this scheme at least.
It’s been a busy week for JTG Daugherty Racing.
Earlier this week, the team announced that they would be shuttering their No. 37 entry and would only run one car for the 2022 NASCAR Cup Series season.
NASCAR will have a total of eight drivers and teams at the Goodyear Tire Test on September 7th and 8th at Daytona.
Those teams are:
- No. 3 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet (Austin Dillon)
- No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota (Denny Hamlin)
- No. 17 Roush Fenway Racing Ford (Chris Buescher)
- No. 22 Team Penske Ford (Joey Logano)
- No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet (William Byron)
- No. 41 Stewart-Haas Racing Ford (Cole Custer)
- No. 42 Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet (Ross Chastain)
- No. 47 JTG Daugherty Racing Chevrolet (Ricky Stenhouse Jr.)
The Goodyear tire test, next week, will mark the first time that teams have tested their own prepared cars. Up until this test, all tests have been with NASCAR Next Gen prototypes or the manufacturer-prepared wheel-force cars.
Toby is the Founder, Editor and go-to man for TobyChristie.com. He is also the co-host of The Final Lap Weekly Podcast. Additionally, Toby is a NMPA (National Motorsports Press Association) award winning writer, and has followed NASCAR as a fan since 1993.