Gio Ruggiero, Kaden Honeycutt Collected in Vicious Crash at Texas

Gio Ruggiero’s first trip to Texas Motor Speedway has come to a spectacular halt after a vicious multi-truck accident on Lap 30 of Friday’s SpeedyCash.com 250.

The NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series rookie was having a fantastic showing in his No. 17 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro, running inside the top-10, when he ran through the grass in the tri-oval.

Ruggiero had been lucky enough to survive running through the grass earlier in the event, but the second time, the 18-year-old driver wasn’t as lucky, tearing the left front off his TRICON Garage machine.

As the Seekonk, Massachusetts-native ricocheted off the infield grass, he slid up the racetrack and collected Kaden Honeycutt, Brandon Jones, and Stewart Friesen, destroying several trucks.

Unfortunately for Ruggiero, making just his eighth start in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, the incident was the result of a rookie mistake.

“It was, misjudged the run there on my part, being off to the right of Hocevar there, and trying to set myself up to have a run and get underneath him getting into [Turn 1] and make a pass, and just too aggressive turning down there,” said Ruggiero. “Clipped it just enough to where I lost control and had no brakes to slow it down after that.”

Ruggiero, Honeycutt, and Jones were all forced to retire from Friday’s NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series event at Texas Motor Speedway, and would score finishes of 30th, 31st, and 32nd.

Honeycutt, who was running a special throwback paint scheme to Niece Motorsports’ debut in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series a decade ago, was irate about the error.

“I’m pised because this is my home races, and this is our tenth year as a company and we got wrecked out on lap frickin’ 30 of a kid hitting the infield and destroying our racetrack,” said Honeycutt. “I’m not very happy about it, I’ll cool off and go to Kansas. I just can’t believe it, I’ve never seen anything like that and destroyed so many trucks, and a good one like ours.”

All of the drivers involved in the accident at Lap 30 were checked and released from the infield care center, and were all uninjured.

share it
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Post

22MART2RJ_1886-e1771538610996
Joe Gibbs Racing Suing Former Competition Director Chris Gabehart
Stephen Mallozzi is campaigning on social media for a ride with Kaulig Racing through Ram Trucks Free Agent Program
Campaigning for Ram Trucks Ride Gives Stephen Mallozzi a 'Sliver of Hope' at NASCAR Dream
HAKYENDXgAAxwWu
Kaulig Racing Names Crew Chiefs for Inaugural Truck Season with RAM
mm_trucks_martinsville_qualifying_gioruggiero-2
Gio Ruggiero Returns to JGR in 2026; Making O'Reilly Debut at Daytona
45 cars are on the 2026 Daytona 500 entry list NASCAR Cup Series
2026 NASCAR Cup Series Daytona 500 Entry List
Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 7.39
Video: Sam Mayer Damages Car in Gravel Trap After First Xfinity Win

Join Our Newsletter

Ready to have NASCAR news hand-delivered to your email daily?

Related Article