UPDATE (Sunday, August 27 at 2:20 AM ET): Stewart-Haas Racing says Ryan Preece is awake, alert, and mobile, but will remain overnight at Halifax Health Medical Center for continued observation. He will undergo further observation by medical personnel later this morning. An update will be provided in the afternoon.
UPDATE #2 (Sunday, August 27 at 10:52 AM ET): Stewart-Haas Racing says that Ryan Preece was discharged from Halifax Health Medical Center earlier this morning, after his brutal crash late in Saturday’s NASCAR Cup Series event at Daytona. Preece is currently on his way home to North Carolina.
Ryan Preece has been transported to a local-area hospital, after a vicious crash in the closing laps of Saturday’s NASCAR Cup Series event at Daytona International Speedway.
The accident, which happened with five laps remaining in the event, became severe when the No. 41 RaceChoice.com Ford Mustang was tipped in front of the pack, before contact from Stewart-Haas Racing teammate Chase Briscoe sent him airborne.
Traveling at a high rate of speed, that contact sent Preece into the air, before the Berlin, Connecticut native’s vehicle came slamming down in the infield, barrel rolling more than 10 times in the process.
With the assistance of the AMR Safety team, Preece was able to climb from the car under his own power but appeared to need assistance standing before being loaded onto the stretcher.
NASCAR did not provide any additional updates on the condition of Preece. However, Greg Zipadelli of Stewart-Haas Racing, tells Jay Pennell of Racing America that the 32-year-old driver was being transported to a local hospital, and was awake and alert.
Greg Zipadelli says Ryan Preece has been transported to a local hospital, was alert but shaken up.
— Jay W. Pennell (@jaywpennell) August 27, 2023
This is a developing story. Any updates on the condition of Ryan Preece, whether provided by the driver, Stewart-Haas Racing, or NASCAR, will be updated as an update to this story, and if necessary, an additional post.