Ryan Preece, a NASCAR Cup Series regular, who drives for JTG Daugherty Racing, scored his second NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour victory of the 2021 season as he finished just over a second ahead of runner-up — and 2021 championship contender — Justin Bonsignore in Friday’s GAF Roofing 150 at Stafford Speedway in Stanford Connecticut.
Preece started from the pole and was the class of the field for the majority of the race, but he had to work back to the front after dropping to seventh due to a pit strategy call with around 35 laps to go.
So, how did the 30-year old pull off the victory rally?
“Had to pull the old razzle-dazzle. Nah, I had Waddell tell me in the ear, you gotta pull the razzle-dazzle, you know? And I was like, Okay, I’ll do that. No, we had a really good race car, and that’s what it takes to win races,” Preece explained.
For Preece, this is the 24th win of his career (ninth-most all-time) in the NWMT, but the chance to win this race was only possible by the hard work put in by his father and the rest of the Limitless Motorsports group.
“A lot of hours. We started off the year, we had a lot of speed, but due to my poor decisions cost us a few races, but I’m glad to see we’re getting a few victories now,” Preece stated with excitement.
Behind Preece and Bonsignore was Jon McKennedy in third. Doug Coby, who competed as the local hero in the Camping World SRX Series at this race track, came home fourth/
Ron Silk rounded out the top-five finishers in this event.
Here are the full race results from Friday’s NWMT GAF Roofing 150 at Stafford:
- 6-Ryan Preece
- 51-Justin Bonsignore, -1.029 sec.
- 7-Jon McKennedy, -1.766 sec.
- 10-Doug Coby, -3.041 sec.
- 85-Ron Silk, -3.416 sec.
- 1-Woody Pitkat, -3.739 sec.
- 07-Patrick Emerling, -4.094 sec.
- 50-Ronnie Williams, -4.636 sec.
- 58-Eric Goodale, -4.869 sec.
- 54-Tommy Catalano, -8.935 sec.
- 82-Anthony Nocella, -9.092 sec.
- 32-Tyler Rypkema, -1 lap
- 3-Matt Swanson, -1 lap
- 64-Timmy Solomito, -2 laps
- 24-Andrew Krause, -2 laps
- 15-Kyle Soper, -2 laps
- 34-J B Fortin, -2 laps
- 18-Ken Heagy, -3 laps
- 36-Dave Sapienza, -27 laps
- 46-Craig Lutz, -33 laps
- 22-Kyle Bonsignore, -35 laps
- 01-Melissa Fifield, -126 laps
- 78-Walter Sutcliffe Jr., -140 laps